Current and future licensed Mississippi teachers may also TESL program coursework for add on ESL Endorsement. The required courses for ESL Endorsement are:
- TESL 531. Assessment in Second Language Acquisition -or- TESL 550. Language Politics & Social Policy
- TESL 542. Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language -or- TESL 535. Bilingualism, Education & Identity
- TESL 547. Cultural Dimensions of Second Language Acquisition -or- TESL 549. Intercultural Communication
- TESL 592. Modern English Grammar -or- LING 504. Descriptive Grammar
All ESL Endorsement courses are offered ONLINE and on-campus.
TESL 542 and TESL 592 are also offered as iStudy courses; TESL 531 and TESL 547 will be available as iStudy courses beginning January 2018.
ESL Endorsement is NOT itself a graduate degree.
A) Students applying for ESL endorsement should submit the following materials online to:
The University of Mississippi Graduate School
- A completed graduate school application for admission that can be found online at: http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/graduate_school
- One official transcript from each university/ college attended
- A $40 application fee
- International students must also submit their official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores (a minimum score of 80 for the internet-based test is preferred).
- Students should apply as a NON-DEGREE SEEKING STUDENT
B) International students only should submit a financial statement which certifies funds for educational and living expenses to:
International Programs Office
University of Mississippi
University, MS 38677
Once they are admitted to the graduate school as NON-DEGREE SEEKING STUDENTS, students may enroll in the required coursework. After they have completed the required coursework, they must contact Dr. Whitney Webb at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply for ESL Endorsement.