Professor of French and Chair
Office: C-115 Bondurant Hall | 662-915-1213 | dosulliv at olemiss.edu
- Ph.D., French, Boston College, 2000
- M.A., French, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, 1994
- A.B., French, College of the Holy Cross, 1992
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION:
- Comparative and interdisciplinary approaches to medieval European literature, music and culture
- Manuscripts and material culture, including historical linguistics, philology, and textual criticism of both music and text
MOST FREQUENTLY TAUGHT CLASSES:
- Medieval and Renaissance French Literature (FR 582)
- History of the French Language (FR 574)
- La Chanson francophone (FR 323/399)
- Composition and Conversation II (FR 304)
- Marian Devotion in Thirteenth-Century French Lyric. Toronto and London: University of Toronto Press, 2005.
- Chess in the Middle Ages and Early Modern Age : A Fundamental Thought Paradigm of the Premodern World. Fundamentals of Medieval and Early Modern Thought, 10. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2012.
- Shaping Courtliness in Medieval France, with Laurie Shepard, under contract with Boydell and Brewer and due to be published in Spring 2013.
- Les Echés d’Amour, with Gregory Heyworth of UM Department of English, under contract with Brill Publishers.
- Les Chansons de Thibaut IV, Roi de Navarre, (working title), edition of the trouvère’s lyrics, both music and text, with Christropher Callahan of Illinois-Wesleyan University, in progress.
- “Musical Memory and Old French Refrains,” (in progress and intended for submission to Plainsong and Medieval Music).
- “Surveying Contrafacture in the Old French Trouvère Corpus,” (in progress and intended for submission to Textual Cultures).
- “On connaît la chanson: La contrafacture des mélodies populaires dans le Ludus anticlaudianum d’Adam de la Bassée,” Cahiers de recherches médiévales et humanistes, (in progress).
- “Na Maria: Shaping Marian Devotion in Old Occitan Song,” Shaping Courtliness in Medieval France (see above).
- “Changing the Rules of Chess and Allegory in Medieval European Literature,” Chess in the Middle Ages and Early Modern Age: A Fundamental Thought Paradigm of the Premodern World (see above).
- “L’amplification du discours religieux mélusinien de Jean d’Arras à Couldrette” Title TBA. Paris : Classiques Garnier. (forthcoming)
- “Is There a Manuscript in this Class?” (with Andrus Ashoo and Douglas Ray) Medieval Persepctives 24 (2008 ): 71-87.
- “Editing Melodic Variance in Trouvère Song,” Textual Cultures, 3.2 (2008): 54-70.
- “Putting Women in the their Place in the Rosarius,” Dialogism and Lyric Self-Fashioning: The Voices of a Genre (working title). Ed. Jacob Blevins. Selinsgrove, PA: Susquehanna UP, 2008. 84-96.
- “Editing Trouvère Lyric and the Challenges of the Devotional Corpus,” The McNeese Review 44 (2006): 22-33.
- “Reading Children in Gautier de Coinci’s Miracles de Nostre Dame.” Neophilologus 89 (2005): 199-217.
- “Text and Melody in Early Trouvère Song: The Example of Chrétien de Troyes’s ‘D’Amors qui m’a tolu a moi.’” TEXT: An Interdisciplinary Annual of Textual Studies 15 (2002): 97-119.
- “Revisiting Mouvance and Medieval Lyric Performance.” Romance Languages Annual 12 (2001): 83-88.
- “Les Merveilles de Rigomer’s Apocalyptic Geography.” Medieval Perspectives 12 (1997): 110-122.
- “International Bibliography of French Lyric Poetry of the 12th and 13th Centuries for the Years 1997-2013” Encomia: Bibliographical Bulletin of the International Courtly Literature Society (in progress).
- “Popular Religion/Spirituality in Medieval Studies,” “Contrafacture,” “Religious Lyrics,” “Miracle Narratives,” and “Paris, Gaston Bruno Paulin.” Concepts, Methods, and Trends in Medieval Studies. Ed. Albrecht Classen. Berlin: de Gruyter Encyclopaedia 1129-37; 1478-81; 2056-60; 1911-15; 2563-65, respectively.
- “Chronique d’un Templier de Tyr,” “Grandes Chroniques de France,” “Histoire des ducs de Normandie et des rois,” and “Jean de Joinville.” The Encyclopedia of the Medieval Chronicle. Ed. Gaeme Dunphy. Leiden: Brill [forthcoming]
- “Popular Religion/Spirituality in Medieval Studies, ” “Contrafacture,” “Religious Lyrics,” “Miracle Narratives,” and “Gaston Paris.” Concepts, Methods, and Trends in Medieval Studies. Ed. Albrecht Classen. Berlin: de Gruyter Encyclopaedia [forthcoming]
- “Reverdie,” “Roundel [Rondeau],” “Tail-rhyme,” and “Trouvère.” Companion to Pre-1600 British Poetry. Ed. Michelle M. Sauer. New York: Facts on File, 2007. [forthcoming]
- Sala, Marius. From Latin to Romanian: The Historical Development of Romanian in a Comparative Romance Context in Balkanistica 20 (2007): 173-76.
- Rothenberg, David J. The Flower of Paradise: Marian Devotion and Secular Song in Medieval and Renaissance Music. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, 2011 in The Medieval Review (forthcoming).
- Bolduc, Michelle. The Medieval Poetics of Contraries. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2006 in The French Review 83 (2009): 156.
- Doss-Quinby, Eglal, Roberta L. Krueger and E. Jane Burns, eds. Cultural Performances in Medieval France: Essays in Honor of Nancy Freeman Regalado. Cambridge: D.S. Brewer, 2007 in The French Review 82 (2009): 1309.
- Fern, Olle and Volker Honemann, eds. Chess and Allegory in the Middle Ages. Stockholm, Sweden: Runica et Mediaevalia, 2005 in The Medieval Review (http://www.hti.umich.edu/t/tmr/).
- Adams, Jenny. Power Play: The Literature and Politics of Chess in the Late Middle Ages. Philadelphia: U of Pennsylvania P, 2006 in Encomia: Bibliographical Bulletin of the International Courtly Literature Society 29-30 (2007-2008): 9-10.
- Paden, William and Frances Freeman. Troubadour Poems from the South of France. Cambridge: D.S. Brewer, 2007 in Encomia: Bibliographical Bulletin of the International Courtly Literature Society 29-30 (2007-2008): 36-38.
- Hunt, Tony. The Writings of Gautier de Coinci. Cambridge: D.S. Brewer. 2007 in Modern Language Review 103 (2008): 1121.
- Krause, Kathy M. and Alison Stones. Gautier de Coinci: Miracles, Music, and Manuscripts. Turnhout: Brepols, 2006 in Encomia: Bibliographical Bulletin of the International Courtly Literature Society 28 (2006 ): 51-53.
- Carapezza, Francesco. Ecdotica galloromanza negli Stati Uniti d’America. Rome: Accademia nazionale dei Lincei, 2005 in Textual Cultures: Texts, Contexts, Interpretation 2.2 (2007): 157-61.
- Doss-Quinby and Samuel N. Rosenberg, eds. and trans. The Old French Ballette. Musical ed. Elizabeth Aubrey. Geveva: Droz, 2006 in The French Review 81 (December 2007): 374-75.
- Callahan, Christopher and Samuel N. Rosenberg, eds. and trans. Les Chansons de Colin Muset. 2 vols. Paris: Honoré Champion, 2005 in The French Review 81 (December 2007): 375-76.
- Busby, K. et al., eds. “De sens rassis”: Essays in Honor of Rupert T. Pickens. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 2005 in The French Review (in progress).
- Busby, Keith. Codex and Context. 2 vols. in TEXT: An Interdisciplinary Annual of Textual Studies(forthcoming).
- Chartier, Alain, et al. Le cycle de “La Belle Dame sans Mercy” : Une anthologie poétique du XVe siècle.Paris: Honoré Champion, 2003 in The French Review (forthcoming).
- Haines, John. Eight Centuries of Troubadours and Trouvères. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2004 in The Medieval Review (forthcoming).
- Dumanoir, Virginie, ed. Música y literatura en la España de la Edad Media y del Renacimiento in The Sixteenth-Century Journal: The Journal of Early Modern Studies (forthcoming).
- Collet, Olivier et al, eds. “Ce est li fruis selonc la letre”: Mélanges offerts à Charles Méla in The French Review 78 (December 2004): 365-66.
- Einbinder, Susan L. Beautiful Death: Jewish Poetry and Martyrdom in Medieval France in The French Review 77 (February 2004): 584-86.
- Silverman, Lisa. Tortured Subjects: Pain, Truth, and the Body in Early Modern France in The French Review 76 (March 2003): 833-34.
- Lynde-Recchia, Molly. Prose, Verse, and Truth-Telling in the Thirteenth Century in The French Review 76 (March 2003): 805-06.
- Léglu, Catherine. Between Sequence and Sirventes: Aspects of Parody in the Troubadour Lyric in The French Review 76 (February 2003): 594-95.
- Doss-Quinby, Eglal; Grimbert, Joan T.; Pfeffer, Wendy; and Aubry, Elizabeth. Songs of the Women Trouvères in The French Review 76 (December 2002): 388-89.
- Collet, Olivier. Glossaires et index critiques des oeuvres d’attribution certaine de Gautier de Coinci in Speculum 77 (2002): 495-96.
- “Harmonizing Li Prisons d’amours in its manuscript context” (Scheduled for June 2, 2012 at Society for Textual Society Conference, Austin, Texas)
- “Debating Love and Politics in Österreichische Nationalbibliothek, Palatinus 2621” (April 10, 2012 at Medieval Manuscript Symposium at University of Mississippi)
- “Musical Memory and Old French Refrains” (October 15, 2011 at 38th Southeastern Medieval Association conference, Decatur, Georgia)
- “Changing the Route of the Housing Parade: The Residential College Experience at Ole Miss” (February 18, 2011 at 2011 SEAHO (Southeastern Association of Housing Officers) Conference, Mobile, AL
- “Courtly Contrafacture in Adam de la Bassee’s Ludus super Anticlaudianum” (July 30, 2010 at 13th Congress of the International Courtly Literature Society, Montreal, Canada)
- “Contrafacture from Old Occitan to Old French Song” (October 17, 2009 at 35th Southeastern Medieval Association Conference, Nashville, Tennessee)
- “Mouving Melodies and Moving Publics: Contrafacture in Thirteenth-Century Trouvère Song” (May 8, 2009 44th at International Medieval Congress, Kalamazoo, Michigan)
- “Na Maria: The Virgin Mary in Old Occitan Song” (October 3, 2008 at 34th Southeastern Medieval Association conference, St. Louis, Missouri)
- “Editing Melodic Variance in Trouvère and Troubadour Lyric Song” (March 14, 2008 at Society for Textual Scholarship Conference, Editorial Institute, Boston University)
- “Images of the ‘Courtil’ in Les Echés amoureux” (December 28, 2007 at 123rd MLA Annual Convention, Chicago, Illinois)
- “’Sancta verges, maires pura’: Guiraut Riquier’s Marian Songs” (October 6, 2007 at 33rd Southeastern Medieval Association conference, Spartanburg, South Carolina)
- “Thibaut de Champagne’s Debate Poetry: A Material Approach” (May 12, 2007 at 42nd International Medieval Congress, Kalamazoo, Michigan)
- Medieval Perspectives, Editor-in-Chief (current)
- Textual Cultures, Editor (current)
AWARDS and GRANTS:
- Mississipppi Humanities Council Humanities Teacher of the Year for UM, AY 2008-09.
- College of Liberal Arts Outstanding Teacher of the Year, awarded May 9, 2008.
- Teacher of the Month, awarded by the UM Mortar Board, Tassels Chapter for November 2006.
- Nominated by College of Liberal Arts for NEH Summer Stipend on September 19, 2007 and September 11, 2008).
- Summer Research Grant, awarded by College of Liberal Arts, University of Mississippi on November 1, 2002, November 1, 2003, December 10, 2004, January 19, 2007.
- Faculty Research Fellow, awarded by the University of Mississippi on May 3, 2004 and Dec 6, 2005.
- Mississippi Humanities Council Grant, awarded for hosting a mini-conference on Comparative Literatures and Cultures at the University of Mississippi on March 29, 2004.