Teaching and Research Interests:
Hispanic Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Second Language Acquisition, U.S. Spanish, Amazonian Spanish, Syntax, Morphology, Sociophonetics
LING 702: Linguistic Fieldwork and Data Analysis
SPAN 672: Research and Practice in Classroom Second Language Acquisition
SPAN 572: Spanish Phonetics and Phonology
SPAN 330: Introduction to Hispanic Linguistics
LING 313: Introduction to Linguistics
SPAN 371: Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition
SPAN 303: Spanish Conversation and Composition
Perry, Jamie, Katelyn Kotlarek, Lucía Mendez, Yolanda Holt, Stephen Fafulas, and Katie Broadwell. “Nasometric Comparison Between Spanish–English Bilingual and English Monolingual Children.” The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal, vol. 56, no. 3, 2019, pp. 331-339.
Fafulas, Stephen, Manuel Díaz-Campos, and Michael Gradoville. “Stable Variation or Change in Progress? A Sociolinguistic Analysis of PA(RA) in the Spanish of Venezuela.” Language Variation and Contact-Induced Change: Spanish across Space and Time, edited by Jeremy King and Sandro Sessarego, Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 2018, pp. 223-245.
Méndez, Lucía, Jamie Perry, Yolanda Holt, Hui Bian, and Stephen Fafulas. “Same or different: Narrative retells in bilingual Latino kindergarten children.” Bilingual Research Journal, vol. 41, no. 2, 2018, pp.150-166.
Henriksen, Nicholas and Stephen Fafulas. “Prosodic timing and language contact: Spanish and Yagua in Amazonian Peru.” Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics, vol. 10, no. 2, 2017, pp. 225-257.
Rodríguez-Mondoñedo, Miguel and Stephen Fafulas. “Double Possession in Peruvian Amazonian Spanish.” Inquires in Hispanic Linguistics: From Theory to Empirical Evidence, edited by Alejandro Cuza, Lori Czerwionka, and Daniel Olson, Amsterdam: John Benjamins, 2016, 335-354.
Kanwit, Matthew, Kimberly L. Geeslin, and Stephen Fafulas. “Study abroad and the SLA of variable structures: A look at the present perfect, the copula contrast, and the present progressive in Mexico and Spain.” Probus, vol. 27, no. 2, 2015, pp. 307-348.
Fafulas, Stephen. “The Pear Stories Film: Simple Presents and Present Progressives in Portuguese, Spanish and English.” Estudos Linguísticos/Linguistic Studies, vol. 11, 2015, pp. 61-81.
O’Rourke, Erin and Stephen Fafulas. “Spanish in Contact in the Peruvian Amazon: An Examination of Intervocalic Voiced Stops.” Selected Proceedings of the 6thConference on Laboratory Approaches to Romance Phonology, edited byErik W. Willis, Pedro Martín Butragueño, and Esther Herrera Zendejas, Somerville, MA: Cascadilla Proceedings Project, 2015, pp. 145-
Fafulas, Stephen. “Progressive Constructions in Native-Speaker and Adult-Acquired Spanish.” Studies in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics, vol. 8, no. 1, 2015, pp. 85-133.
Awards and Honors:
- Junior Faculty Research and Creative Achievement Award, University of Mississippi, 2018
- Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant (Co-PI), National Science Foundation “First and Second-Language Patterns of Variation: Acquisition and Use of Simple Present and Present Progressive Forms in Spanish and English” [#1226945], 2012-2014
- Dissertation Year Research Fellowship, Indiana University College of Arts and Sciences, 2012-2013
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Summer Fellowship, intensive Portuguese in Brazil, Indiana University Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies, 2011 and 2012
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Academic Year Fellowship, Modern Greek, Indiana University Institute for European Studies, 2009-2010
- Ambassadorial Scholarship, Rotary International [Host Club 4890 Buenos Aires, Argentina], 2006-2007